Our Alabama Public Service Commission has allowed Alabama Power to charge us the highest connection fee in the country if we want to generate some of our own electricity but be connected to the grid for backup. Why should Alabama be the only state where our energy future continues to be decided behind closed doors? This important issue is discussed in public everywhere else.
The Southern Environmental Law Center has filed a complaint with the PSC on behalf of Gasp and some of its members about the inappropriateness of the tariff stealthily imposed in 2013 on self-generated electricity with grid backup. APC responded with a request to dismiss their complaint and to raise the fee.
Ask for the simple opportunity for a public hearing about the charges on self-generated electricity. And let others know to ask our elected commissioners to open the closed doors so we can hear this discussed in public, even if we’re not allowed to speak! The PSC received all the formal documents it requested by August 20th, 2019 but still hasn’t ruled – so don’t wait.
- How to contact the PSC directly – Calls are counted: 334-242-5218.
- President:Twinkle Cavanaugh – email@example.com
- Place 1: Jeremy Oden – Jeremy.Oden@psc.alabama.gov
- Place 2: Chip Beeker – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our designated advocate – Assistant Atty. General Olivia Martin – OMartin@ago.state.al.us
- PSC Exec. Dir. & Chief Admin. Law Judge: Judge John Garner- Karen.Rogers@psc.alabama.gov
- Secretary: Walter Thomas – Walter.Thomas@psc.alabama.gov
- Energy Policy Director: John Free – John.Free@psc.alabama.gov